How to Earn Freelance Income Without Any Clients
Updated: November 9, 2018
The #1 question I get asked is “how do I find more freelance clients?”
I’ve talked to dozens of freelancers over the years who, for one reason or another, need to find paying clients right now.
For some, it’s serious. They just quit their job and don’t know how they’ll pay rent next month. For others, they’re just eager to start their own business.
But there’s another way to earn money that most freelancers forget about…
In fact, you can earn regular income every month without any clients at all.
All you have to do is sell your own work.
You don’t need to have an amazing idea, form a startup, build a million dollar business, and conquer the world.
👉 Stock content marketplaces let you upload your original creations and start earning a side income right now.
This is an goldmine idea if you’re a:
- Audio Engineer
- 3D Modeler
How Marketplaces Work
- You sign up as an author/creator on one or more stock marketplaces (there’s no limit!)
- You upload original content that you create (again, no limits)
- Set your own prices (some marketplaces do this for you)
- People buy your designs, code, photos, music, videos, etc
- You get paid for each sale (usually 70% or more)
If you consistently upload content people want to buy, you’ll start to build a following. Those followers will turn into customers, which will help you earn even more.
I know people making upwards of $20,000 per month using this method!
There are some fantastic benefits to creating your own products too:
- You have no income ceiling.
- You need minimal experience and no resume.
- You can make one product and sell it forever.
- You never have to ask a client for approval.
- You never have to worry about late payments.
- You don’t have to worry about contracts.
- The marketplaces have done the hard work of finding and attracting paying customers for you.
👉 I designed a little calendar widget in 2010 and put the PSD file up for sale. That sucker still pays for my gas bill every month over 8 years later.
You could build an entire career out of this and bypass clients forever if you wanted to. All you have to do is keep up with trends and create content that people want.
Know What People Want
How do you know what people want? Literally just click on the Popular or Trending tab on each marketplace, see what’s selling really well, then create more of that. It can’t get much easier. They basically give you a free sales roadmap to follow.
Here’s a list of marketplaces to get you started:
- Envato: GraphicRiver
- Envato: CodeCanyon
- Envato: AudiJungle
- Envato: VideoHive
- Envato: ThemeForest
- Envato: PhotoDune
- Envato: 3DOcean
- Society6 (put your artwork on anything)
- Etsy (create your own shop!)
- NounProject (sell icons!)
- Pond5 (sell videos!)
- Adobe Stock Content
- Font Shop (sell your fonts!)
“But what if I don’t create digital media?”
Now, you might be thinking, “but I’m a copywriter! This will never work for me…”.
And you’d be right. Stock content websites don’t work well for copywriters.
BUT, you can partner with someone creating digital products (like website themes, eBooks, banners, t-shirts, etc) and sell your services to them. You could be their primary resource and they could be your main client.
Likewise, designers can partner with developers to create amazing WordPress themes and sell them together.
P.S. You can meet people like this in a unique Slack community I created just for freelancers. Check it out!
If you don’t want to create products for a living and still want to earn the big bucks from clients, this is a great way to subsidize your income until you start gaining traction as a freelancer.
Remember, it’s never too early to start creating your own products and earning a side-income!